the house

My dad has been talking about this ‘simple little house’ he’s been building in Mexico for a while. So when I went down I was pretty shocked to find such a grand house. Sure, it only has two bedrooms, but it’s huge in terms of its scale. Lots of indoor/outdoor space, high ceilings, screened in porches, lots of land (that he’s planting an orchard on), a donkey (that we named velasquez), chickens and puppies (pablo and picasso) and loads of promise. The house isn’t finished and there were things like no hot water that can be improved, and there is still furniture to buy, etc.. But I was impressed. Good work, dad and Hervé*.

*gross oversight on my part. I forgot to tell you that my dad worked with LA based architect (and fellow frenchman) Hervé Daridan!

The kitchen is indoor outdoor and part of the main space (it can be closed up now while there aren’t regular walls up for security, that will change). It’s where we spent most of our time.

The house is in a low lying ‘oasis’ area of todos santos so dad built the house higher up in case of a flood. Without any landscaping, it kind of looks like a boat which is perfect because my dad is a sailor.

The view from the front of the house. For now the neighbor (who is a farmer) will be planting a crop of corn. But in the future there will be olive trees and maybe even a pool.

The light in the kitchen was my favorite.

A picture my dad snapped of me at the end of the day.

I abstained from filling in loads of captions for the pictures, but if you have questions or want to know more about anything, just leave a comment and I’ll answer it all!.

67 Responses to “the house”

1. joslyn says:

wow…that is a gorgeous house!!! you have good design genes lady!

2. Sarahrae says:

Make sure you ask him how much he’ll charge for the same build… cause I’m movin’ to Mexico baby!

3. It’s beautiful. How exciting that you were able to go visit him there. Will you be styling it? We’re building a house in Greece with my dad, and I can’t wait until it’s finished – so I know the feeling :)

4. elsie says:

what an oasis of gorgeousness! looks like the perfect place to recharge. And pablo & picasso? ADORABLE.

5. laure says:

Julie-I only style as much as my dad will let me. It’s like he has his own ideas or something ;) I did convince him to add more stairs in one area, so I felt useful!

6. laure says:

elsie-the puppies were the best bonus. they would come bounding out of the palm trees with such JOY. Also they ripped my shirt and scratched my legs. Again, with JOY!

7. laure says:

sarah rae, blogger meetup?

8. Kathy says:

Wow. Wow! That house is amazing! So your dad is a sailor, is building a house in Mexico, planting an orchard, and designs/styles? How lucky are you!?

9. laure says:

kathy, the irony is that I hate sailing, so dad and I only bond over design and homes. I stay on land.

10. Carlina says:

Laure
    Is the house made out of concrete or adobe or some other materials? It’s gorgeous.

11. absolutely stunning! while i’m totally squee-ing over the animals, i’m very obsessed with the indoor/outdoor kitchen.

12. simple but beautiful,
    good vibes in here!
    bonne soirée
    sophie
    • :*¨¨*: •

13. john says:

Those doors!!!!!

14. bianca says:

my goodness, those dogs are gems! they are stealing the thunder of this lovely home. Your family is lucky to have such a nice place to visit!

15. laure says:

carlina–it’s sprayed concrete on a styrofoam/wire structure and then finished with a tinted concrete or maybe plaster that gives it that smooth finish.

16. laure says:

John–the doors were originally a sort of rusty red that was PERFECT and then dad painted them grey. I like the grey, but for a moment the res was seriously amazing.

17. laure says:

bianca we will go and you can translate everything for me!

18. Jen says:

GIRL!!!! Can I just say how A. You’re photos are perfection and B. Clearly talent runs in the family? This is just all kinds of sickening. Todos? This A-Mazing home? PUPPIES????!!! I kinda hate you today. ;)

19. Very cool space your dad set up there. The puppies are the cherry on top, almost unbearable.

20. You must be SUCH a proud daughter. And oh my, those pups! Adorable!

21. umithepumi says:

bravo, nice photos!

22. Tracy says:

OMG. A donkey, puppies and that great house.
    I am ready to move there myself.
    I love it!
    xt

23. laure says:

Jen, I sort of hate myself right now, if it’s any consolation. Also there was no hot water and the roosters start at about 4am. So it’s not all rainbows and sunshine, but still, pretty great, I know.

24. laure says:

aww thanks Tracy (and mom tracy, too). When do I get to see the A frame ;) ?

25. tina says:

A slice of heaven
    The patio area with the stick shutters is the really the best looking I’ve seen. Amazing~
    Love the kitchen with the natural shelves~and the earthy feeling of the walls,floors, windows and how it embraces the outdoors.
    You are a talented family; talent and with exceptional taste.
    ‘Course the pups and Burro seal the deal~ adorable!
    I need to win the lottery and build me one.
    Tina

26. laure says:

I was retarded and forgot to put the architect’s link in. Hervé Daridan, a frenchman and great architect and friend of my dad’s, was the architect! I updated the post, but here’s the info again for those of you interested. He’s in LA! http://hervedaridan.com

27. Lucy says:

WOW! so so so beautiful. You have an amazing dad!

28. Victoria says:

How gorgeous!!!!

29. TK says:

Ughh, FINE, I’ll go.

30. laure says:

TK! Yay! Let’s make a plan!

31. kristine says:

your dads place looks beautiful! can i ask where in mexico it is? i would love to live in mexico if it were reasonable for my boyfriend to commute to san diego but i’m not sure what areas are safest.

32. Cereus Sun says:

What a dream! What a dad! You are one lucky lady. those pups are pretty lucky too ;-)

33. laure. these photos are S T U N N I N G. the home is SO beautiful. i am kind of speechless. wow. i am not surprised you come from such a creative seed. it shows.
    oh and… puppies!

34. nileta says:

the house looks amazing! i love how indoors and outdoors blend harmoniously together and how the materials he uses, are capturing all the light.

35. laure says:

kristine–it’s in todos santos so not really commuteable to san diego. It’s an hour north of cabo by car and probably a two day drive from TJ!

36. able mabel says:

Oh my word!! Now that is a house that would be a dream to have!!!

37. Leila says:

will your dad please adopt me?

38. [...] mexico coming up next week, [...]

39. Michelle says:

I want to live there. It’s perfect.

40. captain kk says:

wow! what an amazing house! i love the enclosed outdoor room & fireplace & built in robust concrete furniture and i really love the steel framed doors. so awesome! i can already see it finished and overlooking an olive grove a gorgeous simple big rectangular pool.

41. laure says:

yes! captain kk that’s exactly right!

42. Elissa says:

Holy crap, your dad is amazing! This house looks like perfection! I’m sure it’s not so fantastic without hot water though. :)

43. [...] highlight of the trip to baja was getting drinks and dinner at the todos santos inn. One of the oldest buildings in todos santos [...]

44. Jamie says:

40+ comments and no one asks the obvious; can I visit? ;)

Very very cool.

45. laure says:

jamie, I like a girl who will come right out and ask for what she wants ;) blog retreat in the making, I think.

46. I can’t even begin to explain how breathtaking these photos are. You are a very talented lady. ;)

47. laure says:

Awww thanks Jessica, let’s work together and make something LA related and awesome!

48. Leslieb says:

Beautiful home in a little gem of a town. I have visited Todos Santos every year for about 20 years now. I like how your Dad has incorporated traditional Mexican craft with the contemporary architecture. Is this on the road to the beach? It’s really great!

49. peter says:

what kind of doors and windows??? thank you

50. mm says:

My how dreamy! So lucky for you to have that as your get-away.